Experience Counts When The Stakes Are High

Maintaining The Best Interests Of Your Children

When your divorce involves your children, it is important to keep in mind that this is your divorce, not your children’s divorce. In the best-case divorce, parents are able to agree to the terms of child custody arrangements after divorce in a joint custody agreement. Both parents would agree to continue providing for their child’s well-being. However, if parents are unable to reach an agreement on their own, or one parent is unable or unwilling to participate in a joint custody arrangement, the court gets involved and may award sole custody to one parent. If you and your child’s other parent cannot agree, the judge will draw up a parenting plan according to its terms, not yours.

Protect Your Rights To Parent Your Child

I am John J. Balenovich, an experienced family law attorney serving clients in Charleston, West Virginia. John J. Balenovich Law Offices, LC, helps divorcing parents who are coming to terms with creating the best life for their children after their divorce. If you and your child’s other parent can agree to your child custody arrangement, you can submit it in writing to the court. West Virginia courts generally prefer that parents work out a joint custody agreement. However, if you cannot agree, the family court intervenes, and awards custody based on several factors, including:

  • How best to give your child stability in home life
  • Continuing the child’s relationship with both parents
  • How each parent cares for and prioritizes nurturing the child
  • Keeping the child in a physically and emotionally safe environment
  • Whether other caregivers are also involved, such as grandparents

I assist clients with all aspects of child custody, parenting time agreements, relocation orders and modifications of orders.

Shape Your Future Relationships With Your Children Now

Your children are not minors for very long but turmoil experienced at a young age can last a lifetime. I will work with you to safeguard your relationship with your children. Together, we can build a solid foundation for you and your children to achieve your goals.

John J. Balenovich Law Offices, LC, can help clients in Charleston and the surrounding areas of West Virginia who want to create a sound child custody agreement or modify an existing agreement that is no longer serving the best interest of their children. To discuss child custody with a lawyer, call 304-205-1523 or send an email.